Open daily, 10:30am-5pm.

Trails: 0 | Lifts: 0

0
Trails
0
Lifts
"
24HRS
Machine Groomed
H: 41 L: 24

Parking and Directions

broomley-icon

ttt

A Chronology of Fred A. Pabst. The history of Mr. Pabst, even prior to Bromley, is essential in understanding the history of Bromley as well as the history of skiing in Southern Vermont.

1935

  • The Bromley Run - Located on the west side of the mountain, the trail was cut in 1936 by Ralph Hutchinson and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). 

1936

  • Installed a rope tow on Equinox Golf Course and a J-Bar lift on Mt. Aeolus in East Dorset, VT.
  • Pabst's Winter Sports Club constructed ski trails on the Long Trail at Bromley Mountain from Peru to East Dorset.

1938

  • The Winter Sports Club supervised, constructed, and maintained 2 new ski trails and a forest slalom on Mt. Equinox. 

1939 

  • Lack of snow in Manchester, VT brought Fred to Peru, where he installed a rope tow on Little Bromley. 

1940

  • Installed a 2,200' long rope tow on West Meadow (only rope tow that turned a corner on the way up).

1941

  • Equinox rope tow removed.

1942

  • Bought the lower half of Bromley from Frieda and Harry Walker. In order to obtain the property, Pabst first had to find another property in Peru that they deemed suitable and they would swap deeds. This property became Big Bromley.
  • Installed #1, Main Lower J-Bar lift. This was relocated from Mt. Aeolus. Installed #2 Main Upper J-Bar lift which was moved from Lake George, NY. 

1943

  • Birth of the Big Bromley Club, a transportation service that brought skiers to and from the ski area from hotels and railroad stations.

1944

  • Installed #3 Snow Bowl J-Bar lift (moved from Plymouth, NH). Removed West Meadow rope tow.

1946

  • Sold Ski Tows, Inc.

1947

  • Installed #4 Lord's Prayer J-Bar lift (moved from Wausau, WI)
  • Began "smoothening" the trails to ensure skiing with less snow. Removed "rock islands" on Avalanche and Yodeler. Extensive grading was finished on Lower Twister, East Meadow, & School Slope. This process took over 7 years and $50,000 (almost $650,000 today)
  • Tucker Sno-Cat made its debut on Bromley. Not used for grooming the slopes quite yet. They were used as uphill travel for "Sno-Cat Tours" which provided entertainment for those who were not skiers

1952:

  • Tucker Sno-Cats began being used for grooming purposes, packing down the natural snow to make it easier to ski. 

1954

  • Removed the 1939 Little Bromley rope tow. Installed #5 J-Bar lift instead.
  • Incorporated as Big Bromley, Inc.
  • "Smoothening" project completed. The entirety of Bromley would now be capable of being skied in only 4" of snow.

1955

  • Installed Poma lift on East Meadow.

1959

  • Installed #1 Main Chairlift

1967

  • Installed #2 Plaza Chairlift